Join us on a tour that delves into mediaeval Oxford, uncovering the complexity of life in the past, while debunking the many myths of ‘mediaeval’ times.
Why is being ‘mediaeval’ seen as an insult? Why are we fascinated with the idea of ‘horrible histories’? Modern media has fostered the stereotype that people in the Middle Ages were uniquely backwards, superstitious, violent, and dirty.
This tour will explore long-lasting similarities with how people acted centuries ago, while discussing how historic tensions echo in the modern era.
All our tours are led by university researchers who have completed our official Uncomfortable Oxford training programme. Our guides combine expert knowledge and performance, ensuring each tour is a fun and educational experience.
Tour recommended for children aged 12 and above.
- Oxford Castle & Prison
- Castle Mill Stream
- Old Greyfriars Street
- Brewer Street
- Christ Church
- Oriel College, Oriel Square
- St. Michael at the North Gate
Please note tour itinerary may vary slightly depending on time and guide.
We believe in promoting equality and ensuring that all our services are fair and sensitive to the needs of all participants. Our guides undertake rigorous accessibility training and are ready to adapt content and itineraries as needed to accommodate participants of all abilities.
- All tours are wheelchair accessible, but please note some mildly uneven pavement and crowding in the city centre, especially on weekends.
- Service animals are welcome on all tours.
- Caregivers and accessibility aids are welcome to attend tours for free, with no need to register.
- The total distance walked during each tour is less than one mile. Each tour includes moments for sitting/leaning against walls, and toilets are available at certain points along the routes.
- We do not usually use amplifying audio equipment, but can arrange to do this upon request and with advance notice. Please inform your guide if any visual or hearing accommodations are needed and they will keep this in mind throughout the tour.
Please let us know of any accessibility requirements when you book.
Read our full accessibility policy.
Tickets can be cancelled or rescheduled up to 24 hours before the start of the scheduled tour.
Duration: 1 hour 30 mins | Age: 12+ | Tickets: £12.00